Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Manna from...

Okay, not all of last week’s whackjobness was entirely negative.

Wednesday I was going to go to Walgreen’s to pick up a prescription, but I couldn’t because at least two blocks of 12th Street were taped off on account of a “suspicious package” at Metro Center. This is of course negative, and the first time I’ve encountered it in this country, so it was kind of interesting.

But I did not make it to Walgreen's, so I went down on Thursday, and it was a nice day, so I walked on the sunny side of the street. That side has a liquor store, so I stopped in to see if they carried Writer’s Tears Irish whiskey. It’s a bit of a hole-in-the-wall, so I wasn’t expecting much. And indeed, their entire inventory of Irish appears to be about three shelves of Jameson and Bushmill’s.


The guy behind the counter looked it up, showing me the result (with pricing in Euros) and didn’t offer to order it for me.

I thanked him and was getting ready to walk out when he put a bottle of chardonnay in a bag and said, “Here, free.”


Well, that certainly does not happen every day, so I thanked him and trotted off to Walgreen’s, trying not to look like I’m the sort of person who washes down prescription meds with wine-in-a-bag.

Really—just a very odd week.



No comments: