Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Slinging again


You may or may not recall my wonder at finding “Bob’s Best” cow manure at the Cupertino Whole Foods store a few years ago. You can refresh your recollection here, because I certainly had a good time with it.

Now, this is my third summer in the District They Call Columbia, but I came across something at the local WF indicating that the East Coast will not be outdone by the West when it comes to froofy animal excrement for your garden:


Yes, folks: that’s lobster poop. 

(And yes, it's compost. But amongst the various lobster parts, I'm betting there's poop.)


I did not examine closely to determine the fair tradecomponent, but it’s obviously organic although not vegan. I mean—I’m assuming that if organic matter has passed through a crustacean’s alimentary tract it doesn’t count as vegan, even if it started out that way, right? I’m presuming free range, but if the lobsters are farmed, that would kibosh that one. I guess?

There was also the lobster-adjacent “premium potting soil”. No poop, but “very old dark bark…enriched with…seaweed”.


Too rich for my budget, but y’all feel free.




No comments: