Friday, December 13, 2019

He come from the glory


Today is Saint Lucia’s day, honoring the virgin martyr of the Diocletian persecutions in the Third Century. Saint Lucia/Lucy is associated with a crown of lights or candles, especially in Scandinavia. So last week, when my company had its holiday party at a local eatery and an Ugly Holiday Sweater contest was part of the schtick, I went full Lucy. (I have no holiday sweaters, ugly or otherwise.)

No, I didn’t put candles in my hair, but I did wrap a string of battery-powered IKEA lights around my head and that seemed to pass muster. (No one took pix; sorry.)

Well, but back to the saint. Saint Lucia is also the name of an island in the eastern Caribbean, so I believe I’m going a bit Calypso today. I just love “The Virgin Mary Had a Baby Boy”, and why not have the King of Calypso sing it?


Belafonte is of Jamaican heritage, and the carol is Trinidadian, but whatever.




No comments: